Monday, April 03, 2006

More Organized Baking - Organizing Cupboards

If your baking supplies & spices are a disaster, try this:

- organize spices, herbs, and mixes all together in small plastic storage containers: I like buying bulk bags of spices and then transfer them over to plastic baggies where I can write the contents on the bag. This makes it easy to see what needs to be bought the next time you go to the store.

- If you want to be UBER organized: try putting all of these spices, herbs and mixes in ALPHABETICAL ORDER. :) If that freaks you out, don't do it. Personally, I would feel a bit weirded out if I started alphabetizing my cupboards. Next I'd be donning white gloves to check for dust...yikes!

- Inside your spice cupboard, either tape a piece of paper or you can even get a cheapo white board with a marker attached - you just need somewhere where you can jot down needed supplies as they are used up.

- Organize all of your BAKING SUPPLIES together in one large box. Put all of the supplies you use the most often together, so that whenever you bake, you just grab that box and a few other extras and you're ready to go. This box can include: essentials like flour, sugar, baking power & soda; a set of mixing bowels; a set of measuring cups & spoons...etc.

- Do your kids like to bake? Set up mini baking boxes (as described in the last tip) for them! They'll feel like the chef du jour when they have their own funky baking box, compete with supplies just for them!

Looking for recipes? http://www.kitchencraftsnmore.net is the sister site of Happy Slob and has 1000s of recipes to try - everything from old favorites to bath & beauty formulas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't bring myself to alphabetize my spices, but I do have them on a Lazy Susan (appropriate name) and grouped together by the kind of spice they are or how they're used. For example, I have cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and such next to each other, and cumin, chili powder, cayenne, etc. together. Makes it lots easier to find what I need, when I need it.